Our Green Story
Having won multiple sustainability awards, and retaining the title of Africa’s as well as Zanzibar’s Greenest Hotel. Verde Hotels’ design and management has sustainability at its core.
Not only are the buildings sustainable, but green principles, processes and measures ensure all operations are eco-friendly and continually assessed for improvement to yield higher return on investment.
Here’s a brief overview of our sustainable features: Green factors featured prominently in the development of Hotel Verde Zanzibar – Azam Luxury Resort and Spa, combining five-star luxury with sustainability. We considered numerous elements – from regenerative drive elevators, to responsibly sourced furniture and products and many more.
- LED low-watt lighting
- Sophisticated heating, ventilation and air-conditioning system to reduce energy consumption
- Renewable energy generation
- During design and construction, the project has followed the criteria of the Green Building Council of South Africa and has achieved 5-star certification
- Regenerative drive elevators
- Responsibly sourced, recycled and eco-friendly furniture and products used where feasible
- Grey and black water recycling systems installed
- Recycling greywater from showers for use in toilet cisterns
- Blackwater (from toilets) used for irrigation, saving thousands of litres of water – applicable to Hotel Verde Zanzibar only
All waste sorted on site and, where possible, recycled
- Venues have separate bins for items that can be recycled
- Eco-friendly stationery and recycled paper where possible
- Energy-efficient air-conditioning, lighting and technology
- Sustainable procurement – conscious purchasing decisions
- Recycling and waste management
Verdinos are our in-house currency, rewarding you for being involved in our hotel’s sustainability and making green choices.
Ways to earn Verdinos:
- Using the stairs instead of the lift
- Correctly sorting waste rooms
- Reusing towels and linen
- Using the power-generating equipment in the gym
- Taking a walk or jogging on property and back
Ways to spend Verdinos:
- Off-setting bills at our restaurants or for accommodation
Our Green Environment
Verde Hotels’ achievements in terms of sustainability are the result of a holistic design process with sustainability at its core.
Not only do we aim for sustainable buildings, but green principles, processes and measures ensure all operations are eco-friendly and continually assessed for improvement.
Guests are encouraged to reuse towels
Waste separated for recycling in rooms
Responsibly sourced furniture and other products
A grey- and blackwater (Zanzibar) plant implemented for water treatment
Grey water from showers recycled for use in the toilet cisterns
LED low-watt lighting and a sophisticated heating, ventilation and air-conditioning system to reduce energy consumption